ASK THE AVERITT RECRUITER! - Answers to your most common questions
Posted: November 13, 2019
How long will it take to be hired after my application is submitted?
We know you’ll want to start driving as soon as possible! Start times will vary from person to person, but we try to get new drivers into orientation within one to two weeks of their application. We work with the driver on any circumstances like upcoming vacations and two-week notices. Just be sure you stay in contact with your recruiter if you have any questions about where you are in the hiring process.
What are the minimum requirements for driving positions?
As one of the most respected fleets on the road, Averitt does everything we can to make sure each driver is qualified and prepared for their position behind the wheel. Here are our requirements:
- 21 years of age w/ Class A CDL
- Four months’ verifiable experience in the past three years OR six months’ experience in the past five years for regional, dedicated and flatbed positions
- One year verifiable experience within the past three years is preferred for local/city positions
Also, we should note that some dedicated positions require that you have your hazmat/tanker endorsement or apply for the endorsements within 30 days of hire and obtain endorsement within 90 days of hire (you will be reimbursed upon receipt). Hazmat and tanker endorsements are preferred for city drivers, while the hazmat and tanker endorsements are required for shuttle positions.
Can you tell me about training at Averitt?
If you’re ready to get your driving career rolling but don’t fully meet Averitt’s requirements, we offer several training programs tailored to your experience level.
Here are some highlights of our Regional and Dedicated driver training programs:
- Training pay of $800 per week
- One to five weeks of training with an Averitt driver trainer
- Home time -- Regional: EVERY week; Dedicated: Multiple options
- Assigned safe, modern equipment with automatic transmissions
- Career advancement opportunities/promotions from within
You can get all of the details at www.averittcareers.com/training/student-and-trainee.
Are you a military-friendly company?
We sure are! Averitt Express was recently recognized in a national survey as a military friendly company for its commitment to military veterans. Plus, we’ve been recognized as a Patriotic Employer by the U.S. Department of Defense’s Employer Support of the Guard and Reserve program, or ESGR. Averitt set and achieved a goal of hiring 1,200 or more veterans by the year 2020 and are working to hire more every day. We’re proud to offer the GI Bill Driver Training program so if you’re ready to make the transition from military service to a prosperous driving career, talk with Averitt first! Find more details at https://www.averittcareers.com/military.
What if I have convictions or other violations? Does that disqualify me?
We know there can be some unfortunate circumstances to overcome sometimes. Because of that, previous convictions or violations are not automatic disqualifiers at Averitt, although we do have some requirements to follow:
- No convictions for reckless driving or DUI within past five years, and no suspensions or revocations within last five years
- No serious violations within previous 12 months (15 mph or greater, following too closely, improper passing, traffic offense committed in CMV in connection with a fatality)
- No more than three moving violations within past three years
- No preventable DOT recordable accidents within past three years
Is there anything I can do now to make it more likely I get hired?
Yes! We want you to maximize your ability to join the Averitt team! Here are some tips to take into account:
- Make sure to list all employment history and be up front about any accidents. Providing full info on the front-end makes the process move more quickly and makes it more likely you'll be hired.
- Make sure to stay in touch with your recruiter and answer any questions they have as quickly as possible.
- If you're flexible and willing to work in any business unit, it’s likely we’ll have a position available in your area. Drivers are eligible for transferring to other positions after six months in their current position.
I've applied for a position before but wasn't hired. Do I need to apply again if a new position has opened?
Your application is good for 90 days, but if there is a new position you're interested in, you should contact the Averitt recruiting team so we can transfer your application for consideration. After 90 days, you will need to complete a new application, but the system has the ability to save your information, so you don’t have to enter it again.
What type of freight will I be hauling?
One of the best things about Averitt is variety! Depending on the position, customer, and so on, our freight is diverse. The majority of regional freight is general commodities, while dedicated hauls a variety of freight depending on the customer, ranging from building materials and auto parts, to store merchandise and portable storage units.
Do I need to unload or touch freight?
This depends on the position. Regional and shuttle is 100% no-touch freight. Flatbed, city/local, and dedicated positions may require touch freight.